We provide a wide range of services to help you manage your finance. Why not join us today and let us look after you.

Find Out More

Why Join Waterford CU?

Why Join Waterford CU?

There are many reasons to join Waterford Credit Union.

  • Excellent Customer Service
  • Friendly professional staff
  • Free loan protection insurance
  • Free life savings insurance
  • Death benefit insurance
  • Repayment protection insurance
  • Car, home & travel insurance
  • No transaction charges on personal accounts
  • Very competitive interest rates
  • Flexible repayment terms
  • Convenient opening hours
  • Online banking & Mobile App
  • F.A.S.T (Financial Advice Service Team)
  • Bill Pay service
  • Community based organisation

Who can become a member?

Who can become a member?

Once you live or work within the ‘Common Bond’, you are entitled to become a member of Waterford Credit Union. The ‘Common Bond’ is the characteristic that unites all members of our Credit Union. It defines the area in which our Credit Union can operate and those who are eligible for membership. Details of Waterford Credit Union’s Common Bond are available on request from officers at either branch.

You may also join by association. To do so, you must be living in the same house as a person with an account in Waterford Credit Union. Click here to find out what you need to join.

What paperwork do you need?

What paperwork do you need?

To open a new account, you need the following items:

  • One form of photographic identification: passport, driving licence, national EU ID card, ML10 form (signed and dated by An Garda Siochana within the last 2 calendar months and birth cert)
  • One form of address verification dated within the last 3 calendar months: current utility bill (gas, electricity, landline telephone), bank statement, Revenue documentation, social welfare documentation, insurance policy (house or car, renewal notices NOT accepted), any correspondence from a recognised source (hospital, school, government body)
  • Proof of PPS number: medical card, DPS card, Government letter etc.


NOTE: Waterford Credit Union CANNOT accept the Public Service Card (Green Card) for Proof of ID or PPSN.

To open an account for a minor (someone under the age of 16), you need the following:

  • Passport or a copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of the child’s PPS number, e.g. medical card, government letter
  • Proof of parents’ address, e.g. recent utility bill dated within the last three months
  • Photographic identification & PPS number of parent/guardian, as they will have authority to operate the account up to the child’s 16th birthday.

The above items are all requirements of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010.

Financial institutions in Ireland, such as Credit Unions, are required under legislation namely, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Common Reporting Standard (CRS), to seek answers to certain questions for purposes of identifying accounts that are reportable to the Irish Revenue Commissioners for onward transmission to tax authorities in relevant jurisdiction(s).  The Common Reporting Standards (CRS) is a legal framework which requires Waterford Credit Union to report details of financial accounts held by reportable persons (i.e. customers who are not tax resident in the Republic of Ireland) to the Irish Revenue on an annual basis who will then exchange this information with tax authorities in relevant jurisdictions.  We will ask you to fill out self-certification form prior to account opening. The self-certification form will capture information on your Taxresidency status, Tax Identification Number (TIN) and Country of tax residence.

Further details are available in the downloads section of our website.