About Waterford Credit Union
Waterford Credit Union was established in 1963. With over 35,000 members and over 60 staff (full time, part time and voluntary), we are one of the largest credit unions in Ireland. Based in Waterford city, we have three branches – Parnell Street (city), Upper Grange (opposite WLR FM) and Summerhill – Tramore.
What Exactly is a Credit Union?
- A credit union is a group of people who save together and lend to each other.
- It offers members the opportunity to manage their own finances by making their savings work for them.
- Every credit union is owned by its members, for its members.
- Your savings contribute to a central loan fund that’s made available to members who need a loan.
- A credit union is for people, not for profit. Any surplus income is returned to members by way of a dividend or reinvested for future requirements.
- Credit unions are non-political and non-religious and continue the Irish tradition of cooperative self-help.
We look after our own
We are part of the community and the community is part of us. Our members live and work in the community, and so do we. As such, we have a responsibility to them, and to local society in general. It’s important that we take an active interest in the economic and social fabric of people’s lives. Charity starts at home, as they say; it’s why we give generously to many local charities and worthwhile causes, such as those below. In community as well as business, we look after our own.
- Solas Centre
- Waterford Hospice
- Waterford Estuary Men’s Shed
- Waterford Area Stroke Group
- UHW Breast Cancer Centre
- Down Syndrome Ireland
- Waterford City River Rescue
- Jack & Jill Foundation
- Temple Street Children’s Hospital
Your resources at your fingertips!